Elevate Your Space
We provide both the engineering and architectural know-how to open up your space into something exceptional.
We are structural engineers that provide drawings, beam selection, and approval stamp required to create a cathedral ceiling in your home.
Permit Packages starting at $2700.
Keep your home safe.
Transform your living space with the elegance and spaciousness that only a vaulted ceiling can offer. At Kingswood Engineers Ltd., our expert engineers and architectural designers ensure both a mesmerizing elevated design and guarantee safety and longevity.
It’s important to have a professional assess the type of roof construction before proceeding with a vaulted ceiling renovation.
Frequently asked questions
The cost of engineering design when vaulting your ceilings depends on several key factors such as the type of existing roof and the span of the home. The fees start from
- Site Visits by a Professional Engineer from $400+hst
- Engineering Design for reinforcing of the roof and removal of the walls from $1200+hst
- Architectural Drawings for building permit from $1350+hst
There are three main steps to the process:
- Engineering Design – The typical turnaround time for engineering design once the measure-up has been completed is 8-15 business days.
- Permit Approval – If you are applying for a building permit, the response time from the building department is mandated to be 10 business days. Given the extremely high level of renovation work in Ontario, this ranges widely from 3 weeks to 8 weeks.
- Construction – Depending on the experience of the contractors, vaulting of a ceiling can be done in 4 weeks
The easiest way to check if you can create a vaulted ceiling (cathedral ceiling) is to determine what type of roof you have.
- If you have a newer style truss roof, a vaulted ceiling is possible, but will require replacement of most of the framing.
- If you have a conventional gable style roof, you should be able to vault your ceilings.
- If your HVAC ducts are in the attic, it will be difficult to vault your ceilings, without replacing the entire system
Due to the complexity of the project, the most important step is to hire a skilled framer. The general steps are:
Remove the insulation in the attic & ceiling drywall
- Reinforce existing roof rafters and collar ties as per engineer specification
- Remove the existing ceiling joists
- Install new insulation between the roof rafters
- Install new drywall on the roof rafters
For most vaulted ceiling projects, a building permit is required. We can provide a complete package to clients including architectural drawings for the permit application, or only work on the engineering design component, depending on your needs.